The Quays at Ramelton
Ramelton was once a thriving port and important industrial and commercial centre. Ships anchored in Lough Swilly having sailed from the Caribbean, New York, Scotland carrying exotic cargoes to Ramelton in exchange for linen, corn, meat and fish. The three and four storey warehouses, dating from mid-1800’s, and yards on the quay are now a landmark. They were built on the site of a former Castle. Indeed, parts of the castle wall still remains on the site.
Get more information about the Heritage Town of Ramelton